Do you know those familiar city sounds – workers, police, kids, horns, and your neighbor’s next door? Noise complaints are common gripes among homeowners and apartment dwellers. It seems impossible to keep the decibels down inside your home, but it’s not. Just because you live in NYC doesn’t mean you must always hear New York City. We reached out to the experts to get a few tips for soundproofing your NYC home.
Areas to Focus on When Soundproofing Your HomeAreas to Focus on When Soundproofing Your Home
When soundproofing your NYC home, you should focus on these key areas to block the noise:
The original soundproofing and insulation standards were overlooked in these areas when NYC apartments and homes were originally built. Small changes combined with professional services will help reduce noise pollution in your home.
Easy Ways to Soundproof Your HomeEasy Ways to Soundproof Your Home
Small changes can make all the difference when soundproofing a home–all you have to do is decorate. Rearrange your home to keep out the noise.
- Layout carpets and rugs throughout your home. Try to cover as much of the floor as you can. The padding beneath carpeting will act as a noise insulator. Not only will you keep your home warmer, but you will also keep it quieter too.
- Don’t put your bed near exterior walls or windows. This helps avoid sounds when you fall asleep at night.
- Install bookcases against walls. When you add a bookcase, it’s much like adding a second wall in front of your existing wall. Fill the bookcase with books, décor, and other items to create an extra layer of noise protection.
- Replace old doors and windows, and hang curtains in the new windows. When choosing curtains, don’t go for sheer or lacy. Make sure you select curtains that are heavier and tightly woven together.
- Repaint your walls with soundproof paint. Yes, it does exist. Not only will a fresh coat of paint refresh your space, but it will also help keep out extra noise too.
Professional Ways to Soundproof Your HomeProfessional Ways to Soundproof Your Home
Soundproofing your home requires professional assistance if you want to achieve complete silence. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to fixing your home’s sound problem. A thorough inspection and tailored plan is the best solution to keeping noise out. How you keep out the noise depends on the type of noise you hear in your NYC home. It’s not the same for every person. Professional sound proofers use these techniques when soundproofing NYC homes:
- Insulate the walls, floors, and ceiling. You can replace insulation or add to it. A professional contractor can assist you with determining what condition your insulation is in, where you can add more, and where insulation can be installed altogether.
- Replace the flooring. If you don’t want to redo your floor completely, walk through your home and tighten problem floorboards.
- Install a mass-loaded vinyl barrier.
- Seal gaps and crevices around the home.
- Build double walls to create a barrier.
- Wrap pipes and cooling/heating ducts with insulation.
If you decide to hire someone to soundproof your NYC abode, make sure they are qualified and equipped with the tools to get the job done right the first time. Any contractor can make promises, but only Acoustical Consultants and Approved Noise Consultants in NYC can deliver. What are some ways you have soundproofed your NYC apartment?