Manhattan Penthouse Experts
Elika Real Estate is a sophisticated service with 20 years of excellence
When it comes to Manhattan real estate, you really can’t do any better than a penthouse. This is the crème de la crème of NYC real estate, and Elika Real Estate have the knowledge and experience to meet your specific penthouse needs. With our agents by your side, you can be sure of receiving only the best penthouse you and your family. Best of all, our agents know how to do it privately and discreetly.
In the last two decades, we’ve specialized in providing our clients with the very best penthouses across Manhattan. Because of our experience, we know that our clients have particular needs and our job is to meet those. At Elika, we won’t stop until we find you the ideal penthouse for your discerning needs.
Manhattan penthouse makes up a big part of New York’s architectural and social history. Read on learn about the history and advantages of penthouse living.
Ready to Buy?
Let Elika’s experts search, filter and send you the very best penthouse properties for sale. We’ll track down all the penthouses which match your specific needs and wants. To get started, request a: Custom Search or Call 212-590-0545. As a rule, services are free for buyers, Learn More.
Manhattan Penthouse Guide
Table of Contents
Some fascinating insights can be found in Andrew Alpern’s foundational text, Luxury Apartment Houses of Manhattan: An Illustrated History. For one thing, before 1922 the tops of Manhattan skyscrapers were not reserved for NYC’s social elite. Instead, they were used as elevator closets, janitors’ offices, and servants’ quarters. It’s hard to imagine, but those highly coveted penthouse spaces were once allocated, to elevator pulleys and machinery. But that all changed in the early 1920s when publisher Conde Nast commissioned the first well-known luxury penthouse at 540 Park Avenue. It was there that she hosted the bulk of New York’s elite social class at her famous parties. From this, penthouse living has become the holy grail of luxurious NYC living.
Fast forward to today, and NYC penthouses are easily one of the most luxurious accommodations in the world. They offer the convenience of an apartment, the square footage of a home, and a premiere design touch which makes them unrivaled — making them, highly sought after and the dream homes of many. For those with the means to do so, purchasing an NYC penthouse offers the best in both comfort and convenience. Those who can reach this goal can take pleasure in enjoying both the excitement of the city and the peaceful joy of private home life.
What is a Manhattan Penthouse?
Architecturally, the term penthouse refers to an area on the top of a tall building that is set back from the edge. In other words, a penthouse apartment refers to an enclosure that does not use the entire roof’s area.
Today, the word penthouse is synonymous with luxury accommodation at the top of a skyscraper. In most cases, they are located, at the top of Manhattan luxury Condominium and Co-operative apartment buildings. Because of their popularity, today’s architect’s design buildings with more space for penthouses. It’s not uncommon to find a skyscraper with the top two or three floors designated as penthouses.
Types of Penthouse
- A duplex is a penthouse that takes up two floors of a Manhattan skyscraper.
- A triplex is a penthouse that takes up three floors of a Manhattan skyscraper.
- A full-floor penthouse takes up an entire floor of an apartment building.
Because penthouse designs come in different styles, buyers have several options in choosing the right one for them. Those who don’t like having a home on one level have the choice of a multi-story apartment such as a duplex or triplex. More space means more choice in amenities, you can have and the style you want to go for.
Most of the time, living in Manhattan doesn’t provide a lot of chances to enjoy outdoor living like those in the suburbs can. This means having to go without a garden, private swimming pool or private terrace to enjoy meals on. This is true even for some highly prized condo and co-op buildings. But because penthouses are set back from the edge of the building, this doesn’t apply to them. Penthouse owners can enjoy all of this while remaining in the beating heart of the city. They also come with far more than just a private balcony. With a penthouse, you can enjoy the type of luxuries that are impossible to find in other parts of the city. Below are just some of the benefits that penthouse living provides.
- Private Pools – Some of the most luxurious penthouses offer pools, hot tubs, and plenty of seating on lounge chairs and patio tables. This makes them perfect for entertaining and throwing lavish parties.
- Rooftop Gardens – Having your private rooftop garden means you can have a place to get away from the stress of city living. You can choose to either maintain it yourself or hire a personal gardener to oversee it.
- Outdoor Living Spaces – Having your private terrace means you can design it however you want. You can have rare flowers, beautiful outdoor furniture, grills, and anything else your heart desires.
Penthouse living means having some of the best views you can find in NYC. As such, most penthouses are designed with large windows and terraces so you can get the most out of the view over the city’s skyline. If you want pristine views, then you really can’t do any better than a Manhattan penthouse.
These superb views come together with other elements of penthouse living to create something that is truly unrivaled. The ample square footage means you can style it exactly as you want so you won’t have to sacrifice comfort for practicality. From your terrace above the city, you’ll be able to enjoy the very best in NYC living
With their clientele in mind, Manhattan penthouse designers work to ensure that only the very best materials are sought out for their designs. These include marble flooring, gorgeous wood choices like mahogany and cherry, high-quality stone, and the richest, carpets and fabrics for floors and walls.
You can also take things a step further and choose a new construction penthouse. This means you can work with the architect and interior designer to create a home that’s just as you want it. You can pick what materials to use and how you want everything styles right down to the final detail. Of course, choosing a new construction means a longer wait time before it’s ready, but that’s the price you’ll pay for something unique.
Furnishings for luxury penthouses are always the most modern, aesthetically pleasing, and technologically advanced you can find on the market. Expect to see state-of-the-art security systems, gourmet chef’s kitchens, and all the components of a modern-day smart home. Some buildings even have advanced controls that alert building managers to any problems such as a leaking roof change in temperature.
With penthouse living, you’ll get some of the very best in satisfaction and specialized services. Below are some of the amenities and services you can expect with penthouse living in NYC.
- Concierge Services – Whether you need a limousine to pick you up or tickets to a sold-out show, your building’s concierge will offer you exclusive service. This means you’ll never have to worry about the finer details of events again.
- Specialized Delivery Services – Whether you need laundry done or new clothing purchased and delivered, you needn’t set a foot outside your home to get it. Specific delivery services do it all for you at a moment’s notice.
- Advanced Security Systems – Penthouse living provides the very best in modern day security systems. Most penthouses will come with 24-hour security personnel to handle all problems that may arise.
- Repair and Maintenance Staff – If a problem needs attention, then you needn’t ever worry about it yourself. Penthouses will have staff on standby to see to any repairs or maintenance immediately.
- Cleaning Services – Most penthouses can provide their cleaning staff to take care of you at any time.
- Beauty and Health Services – The most luxurious penthouse will come with on-site luxury services that you can use at any time. Imagine having a spa, beauty expert or masseur which you can call on at any time.
- Easy Access to Everything – Because you’ll be located in the center of Manhattan, you’ll have easy access to everything on offer. You’ll never have far to go to see a show, meet up for a dinner party or attend the best museum exhibits
- Private Entrances and Elevators – Many penthouses come with private entrances and elevators. This means you’ll never have to wait in line for anything and that your privacy is guaranteed.
Why Buy a Penthouse?
If you have the means to purchase a distinctive Manhattan Penthouse, you should. Doing so means you’re buying the most luxurious real estate that is limited in supply and demand globally. With a New York City penthouse, you can enjoy the ultimate in city living and eventually resell your property to a global audience.